Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Awestruck

There are certain things I will never get tired of, living in the Nation's Capital.  Coming out of the Smithsonian metro station and turning around to see the Washington Monument is one.  Visiting the Lincoln Memorial will never get old.  And, I will always get teary when I see the World War II Memorial. 

But days like today make me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

This morning, the President will be speaking about his jobs plan.  Right across the street from my office building.  We recieved an email yesterday saying that there would be traffic delays and the street would be closed to pedestrian traffic for a time.  I made an effort to get to the office a little earlier than normal and took a few minutes to survey the scene.  Dump trucks are strategically parked on the Georgetown Waterfront, facing the river.  A giant American flag is hung behind the podium.  Key Bridge provides a beautiful backdrop on a stunning fall morning.  The President's Own Marine Band is rehearsing.  The Secret Service is giving me the stink eye as I stand there with my mouth gaping open, taking a few pictures. 





It's moments like this that I try to take in and savor. These are experiences that very few people have.  It's not lost on me.  People around me are complaining about the President ruining their lunch plans.  But, I happen to think that it's pretty stinking cool that he'll be less than a block from my office entrance.

2 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful thing, to live in the DC area, to witness so much history (past and present) and to watch events unfold with your own eyes. I loved watching the President's helicopter detail fly over the house in perfect formation... I loved the culture of the embassies and the amazing diversity of art and museums there. I didn't care for the traffic or the intense lifestyle, but there is so much that is beautiful there. I am so glad you are able to see today's events. What an incredible privilege we have as Americans to have such access to our government in so many ways. Living in a free society is not free, to be sure... but being able to see the President and all of the pomp and circumstance first-hand is such a treat!

    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To think, we caucused for him just a few years ago. And there he'll be, standing in front of an American flag, trying to get people back to work. That sounds like democracy in action. The Founding Fathers would be proud. :-) Wish I was standing in your office window with you. I'd sure love to see that.

    ReplyDelete