Thursday, November 3, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude

I am generally what you would call a "glass half empty" kind of person.  Recently, a friend quipped that it's not half empty -- it's just the wrong size glass.  And after some reflection, I think that actually nails it.  I think my glass is probably too big.  I expect too much from people.  Well...that's isn't exactly it either.  I WANT to expect more from people -- all the while knowing that the bar is too high (and yes, I realize it raises the bar for myself exponentially).  And so, it sets up a cycle of expectations and disappointments until I finally just start bracing myself to be disappointed in hopes that I will be surprised.  And, for the record, I often am.

These past couple of days, I have been noticing a lot of "I'm grateful for..." posts on my facebook feed.  And, as much as it pains me to say...I think it's a great idea.  You see, I'm not one to follow the crowd.  In fact, I tend to do the exact opposite of what the trend is.  While it would be easy (and perhaps entertaining) for me to post my pet peeve(s) of the day, I will spare you. 

My goal for this little project is to end the month with a clear picture that my glass is not half-empty.  And, it's not the wrong size.  It's actually a very large glass that overflows.

Since it's November 3rd, I'll start out with three

  • I'm grateful for my niece Madison, who celebrated her 11th birthday yesterday.  She is a beautiful young lady, whom I have loved watching grow up.  I miss her and her family a lot.
  • I'm grateful for my friend Darcy (for many reasons).  Today, it's because she gave birth to her son Cameron on this day, 11 years ago.  He has been a loyal friend to Jake and I love they have the kind of friendship that transcends the miles between them.  I miss him and his family a lot as well.
  • Had I started this project on Nov 1st, this would have been my first post:  I'm grateful for my husband and that he loves me despite my short-comings.  I never dreamed I could have the kind of love we share.  In fact, I didn't even know it existed.
Keep posting those grateful-isms.  I love seeing the simple ways in which our glasses are filled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment