Monday, November 14, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude - Days 9-13

I have missed a few days of posting, but not from being grateful.  I made special note each day of what I wanted to make sure I expressed gratitude for:

Day 9:  The plans I originally had for Wednesday night fell through and Lloyd was out of town.  So, I took the opportunity to invite a friend over for dinner.  Her son is a friend of Jake's.  She and I met a few months ago during the 5th grade field trip and instantly connected.  We had a nice evening just chatting and enjoying one another's company.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to be spontaneous and make new friends. 

Day 10 - I spent a lot of time (years, really) being anxious about middle school.  I don't know what I was worried about because Jake is absolutely thriving.  Conferences were on Thursday and while I am very grateful for his report card and that he got on the honor roll.  He's obviously not perfect though and he has some areas that definitely need work.  But boiled down to one sentence, the feedback I received was that:  He's a confident, self-advocate who is hard-working, respectful and enthusiastic.  I couldn't really ask for more.  Many will say that it's a reflection of good parenting.  But, the truth is that we couldn't do it alone.  We really believe it takes a village and we are grateful for the friends, family, teachers and other influential adults that have taken an interest in Jake over the years.  I think you know who you are, so thank you for making a difference in his life.  And ours.

Day 11 - Friday was a near perfect day.  Lloyd has traveled a lot this year.  In fact, I figured it out and he's been gone about 20% of the time this year.  He came back from his last scheduled business trip of the year on Thursday night and Friday was a holiday.  We were able to have a restful day, with no real obligations. The icing on the cake was having his cousins over for dinner, one of whom he hadn't seen in 30 years.  We are so grateful to have been able to connect with long lost family members over the last couple of years.  They have added richness to our lives.

Day 12 - We are grateful for the new friends we've made here in DC.  We had some friends over for dinner on Saturday night.  It's amazing to think that we didn't even know these people a year ago and yet now, we cannot imagine them not being part of our lives.

Day 13 - We all woke up feeling under the weather on Sunday.  Even though I spent a good part of the day sleeping -- and I was not able to do the things I wanted to do, I am grateful that overall, we are all healthy.  There was a time when I wasn't sure if that would ever be our reality -- but it is and I couldn't be more thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment