Saturday, December 31, 2011

Resolutions

It's that time of year -- we shake off the old and get ready for a new year.  We discuss our new year's resolutions  -- how we aspire to change or make ourselves better.  All of the athletic equipment goes on sale and health clubs have "no joining fees".  Gym rats complain because come Monday, their "spot" will be taken by a newbie.  We resolve to get organized. 

Last year, a friend of mine said that New Year's Resolutions are a great way to say that you aren't good enough.  I decided to ditch the word "resolution" and call it a "commitment".  I decided I would run a race every month in 2011.  I did great until I hurt my foot in July  -- again -- and just got frustrated.  And down on myself.  And feeling that I wasn't good enough.

So, I'm here to call BS on resolutions and commitments and anything else that says "I'm not good enough".  Instead of making commitments to lose weight, work out and get organized, etc....I think we should all look at the ways that we shine -- and just resolve to do that more.  Don't get me wrong...I think it's fine to want to lose weight, get organized, better yourself.  But, don't try to change who you are in pursuit of those things.  I have come to believe that until we are totally comfortable with who we are -- our authentic self -- then it's nearly impossible to change the things that we want to change.

I have been asking myself some questions lately.  What do people like about me?  What do I get compliments on?  What do love doing?

People often comment on my smile.  I'm going to smile more.

People comment on my laugh.  I'm going to laugh more.

People feel welcome in my home.  And, I love having people in my home.  I'm going to have more parties.

I love to sing.  I'm going to sing more.  Not necessarily to perform.  Just around the house, in my car, wherever I am.

I love to take pictures.  My wonderful husband bought me my second Canon Rebel (because I *gasp* lost mine).  I'm going to take more pictures.  I might even take a class (well, I will take a class because I promised I would).

I love to write.  Maybe I'll write more.  Maybe I'll write about more things.  I don't know and I've learned my lesson about making promises to update my blog on a regular basis.

I love to read.  I had forgotten that I love to read, but I do.  I might read more.

I love traveling and seeing new things.  I plan to continue to explore our new surroundings and spending quality time with my family.

I love to be spontaneous.  To just wake up in the morning and say, "hey, let's go do this...".  I love to be able to just invite people over at the last minute.  I want to do that more.

That's a start.  I'm under no pressure to be something I'm not.  I'm just setting the bar higher on the things I love to do anyway.  Call it being more intentional.  If it has to be a resolution, it's this simple:  I'm going to be the best me I can be. 

Happy New Year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment